Aren’t these cupcakes just adorable?! If you are having a baby and want to surprise everyone with the gender (or if you know someone who is) I highly recommend making these cupcakes. The frosting is pink and blue and once everyone bites into it, they will either get a blue or pink heart! They are actually pretty easy to make and taste delicious since they are made from scratch. Enjoy!
Gender Reveal Cupcakes
- 3 cups all purpose flour, Stir flour before measuring, then scoop and level each cup carefully
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into Tablespoons
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Blue & Pink Food Coloring
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a hand mixer slowly add the butter, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until the butter breaks down and the mixture crumbles, scrap the sides as needed.
- In a large glass measuring cup, measure the milk and then whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into the dry ingredients, Do not over mix.
- Pour roughly ⅓ to ½ the batter into a bowl
- Mix in blue or pink food coloring until you get the color you want
- Pour batter into a greased 13×9-inch baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool for a good 15 minutes.
- Press a small heart shaped cookie cutter in the colored cake and gently pull out the hearts. Cut enough hearts for the amount of cupcakes you need.
- Fill a cupcake pan with paper liners and fill ¼ to ½ full of batter.
- Stick colored hearts in the center of the batter.
- Scoop additional cake batter over the colored heart to fill the cups about ⅔ to ¾ full.
- Be careful not to overfill.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 to 18 minutes until cake is baked and bounces back when touched.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 batches of Butter Cream Frosting and fit a plastic piping bag with large decorating tips
- Draw one thin line of pink food coloring and one thin line of blue food coloring on either side of the plastic bag.
- Gently fill the bag with frosting, being careful not to touch the food coloring with your spatula.
- Twist the end and squeeze until both colors are coming out the tip.
- Pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake, from the outside in towards the center, covering the secret colored heart.